Friday, June 19, 2009

Finally! A real lip balm


I finally got something I like.

I found this recipe from Martha Stewart at http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/homemade-lip-balm. I used the “glossier” version.

It works like this:
2 teaspoon beeswax
4 teaspoon “Carrier Oil” (I used Olive Oil)
1 teaspoon honey
6-7 drops essential oil (I didn’t have any, so I left it out)
I melted the beeswax and oil in a double boiler, added the honey, stirred and poured into my little jars.

I have to admit that my biggest disappointment was (again) the honey. It separated out in the pan and essentially never made it into the little jars. Next time I’ll leave it out of the recipe altogether.

I like my final result. It looks great and feels good on my lips. It’s a little hard so I think I’d like to put it into tubes instead of pots, but I can leave that for next time.

Any thoughts about the honey? I’d really like to make a honey lip balm…

4 comments:

danielle said...

i love your blog. i found it after seeing a comment of yours on marthastewart.com :) i want to also try making the lip balms on her site. just fyi, i'm going to buy the tins from papermart ($0.26/ea for 0.5oz tin pots). also, i'd like to see how the little pots you took pictures of look close up but the pictures are a little fuzzy! :) try setting your camera to "macro" (usually indicated by a little flower icon) and focus about 6-8 inches out. you should get a much better focused image. can't wait to see new potions! again, love you blog, never seen anything so dedicated to lip balms!

Natalia - EnJabonArte said...

Hi, i found very interesting recipes at Brable berry site or Otion blog. I will try Matha Stewart recipe...and i will give you my comments :D

FuzzyFolk said...

I've just started looking into making soaps and lip balms and stumbled upon your blog.

Soap seems like it takes more ingredients so as a starter I think I'll try one of your recipes. Minimal ingredients to buy so if it fails its not a disaster!

Thanks so much for sharing this. I'll let you know how I get on!

Anonymous said...

The Martha blag actually says " For glossier lip balm, use 2 teaspoons wax and 8 teaspoons carrier oil." so maybe it didn't mix as well because you only used 1/2 the amount of carrier oil?