Saturday, June 20, 2009

Breaking News! Coconut Oil is not my favorite.


I tried another recipe today and the results were interesting. I have been scouring the internet, the library and my local Barnes and Noble for ideas and recipes in my search for the ultimate lip-balm concoction. So far I haven’t had a real disaster, but I wouldn’t call it a huge success either.

I’m a Sagittarius, and my horoscope today said today would be a good day to get organized, so that’s exactly what I did - this time I took better notes (and pictures) on what worked and what didn’t. Coconut Oil shows up in lots of the online lip-balm recipes I found, so I ordered some and gave it a try. I love the smell, so I hoped it would work. I made up my own version of what I was seeing in the recipes I found. Here’s what I tested today…

I used 2 Tablespoons of Coconut oil (from http://www.thesage.com/)
1 teaspoon of beeswax
1 teaspoon of petroleum jelly
3 drops of vitamin E
3 drops of Vanilla Essential oil (also from the http://www.thesage.com/)
This time I meted the Coconut oil, beeswax and Vaseline in a glass measuring cup in a pan of boiling water. Once everything was melted I removed it from the stove added the vitamin E and the vanilla and poured into my little jars.

The result was okay. It made 4 little pots of balm. The color is very white, but the balm itself is a little oily for my taste - oops! At least I’m still having fun trying things out. Now I just need to get my girls off of Webkinz so I can use the computer to write down my results.

Any questions for me so far? Just ask…

2 comments:

emy said...

hey do you know where i could buy bees wax from? please reply

Anonymous said...

U can get everything from amazon. i just started making body butters ,body scrubs, lip balm, face oils etc and u can find some oils in your grocery store but i go between amazon and soapgoods.com. u can find easy receipes on line.